Monday, April 1, 2013

Daring Baker Challenge | Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Orange Chocolate Frosting | Hidden Veggies


I HATE beetroots. This is the only one vegetable that doesn't feature in any of the dishes at home. Because all of us except mom went to hostels at some time in our lives, me being in a hostel the longest, we have had more than our fair share of beetroots. Don't mistake me. It tastes good when prepared well. I agree. Because mom has seen our collective grimaces over time, it is inconspicuously absent from our lives and we couldn't be happier.

Then March's Daring Bakers happened. Ruth from Makey-Cakey was our March 2013 Daring Bakers’ challenge host. She encouraged us all to get experimental in the kitchen and sneak some hidden veggies into our baking, with surprising and delicious results!

Guess what I wanted to use for the theme. Yes, you figured it out. BEET.

But this one was beyond my imagination. Chocolate and beetroot make for an amazing combination. This cake was moist and sticky. I had a block of orange flavoured chocolate handy. So instead of the traditional chocolate ganache, I made the orange chocolate ganache and it complemented the cake so well that I couldn't stop with just one.. And I asked everyone who tasted it to guess what was in it. Chocolate was easy to guess, but beet was a pleasant surprise for everyone. When people want second helping, you know you have a winner of a recipe! And when your one year plus old niece fights with her mom for more, you are mighty pleased!!

If you think I am fooling you (after all, today is April Fool's Day, right?), let me put your mind at ease. See it for yourself..

Hah, now that you are sure that I REALLY added beetroots to the cake, shall we see the recipe?



I am in love with the colour of the frosting. Couldn't resist posting one more pretty pic! Now the recipe. I promise.

Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Orange Chocolate Frosting Recipe:

Ingredients:

Chocolate beetroot Cake
200g vanilla sugar
125g neutral oil
2 eggs
 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
120g plain flour
 1/2 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp baking powder
35g cup cocoa
 1/2 tsp salt
 125g peeled and grated raw beetroot
 75g dark chocolate chips

 Chocolate Ganache Topping                     
 100g orange flavoured chocolate (You can use dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate as well)
100g low fat cream

Method:
1.    Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC. Line the base and sides of a 7″ round baking tin.
2.    Place the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk well with a balloon whisk.
3.    Sift the dry ingredients together.
4.    Mix the grated beetroot and chocolate chips.
5.    Alternatively add the flour mix and grated beetroot in 3 lots.
6.    Mix together lightly and place in the tin. Bake for an hour/ until a tester comes out clean.

 Chocolate Ganache Topping
Place the orange flavoured chocolate, cream in a heat proof bowl. Microwave 1 minute at a time until
the chocolate has melted, stirring well each time. Whisk until glossy and cool a little. Pour over the
cake.

1 comment:

  1. The looks are so impressive and tempting..I am sure the taste too is matching..Coming to vegetables I think it is in the hands of the person who crafts a dish from it..that makes all vegetables tasty. and make us want it..!!

    ReplyDelete