Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Banana Cupcakes with Double Chocolate Chips


I will let you in on a secret.. I am not a great sweet fan. No, don't look at me like that. errrr.... I mean, I like certain sweets but not all. I am very picky. So, when came across this recipe, I wasn't too sure how it would turn out.. So I took out all my baking paraphernalia and took to baking it with a gusto. The first time, however, I somehow doubled the milk quantity in my excitement and realised it once I had added all the milk into the batter. Awwww, how is it that you realise the moment you make a ghastly mistake, not a second before! Hmm.. let me think about it for a bit! Okay, the taste was great, but the muffins were bit on the softer side.. I didn't like them much.





Two weeks back, I was wondering what recipe to try next and realised we had extra bananas at home. And a plan was made. How could I be content with an (almost) failed attempt? Right? And this time, they did come out perfect. You bite into the muffins and could feel the goodness of chocolate, delicate aroma of bananas tempting your olfactory senses and seducing them with its mellow, sweet taste.. And I was a fan.



My sister likes banana walnut cakes. Though I had made healthy banana walnut loaf for her before, I will make banana walnut cupcakes with loads of chocolate chips in it. Slather it with some yummy nutella and I guarantee you that you will find yourself in heaven! 


Banana Cupcakes with Double Chocolate Chips
The batter yields 6 large cupcakes and 3 mini loaves
Adapted from Shaheen's PurpleFoodie

1/2 cup / 100g butter
1 ¼ cups / 250g sugar
2 eggs 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 cup / 225g bananas, mashed 
½ cup / 100 ml warm milk 
2 cups / 250g all-purpose flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
¾ tsp baking soda 
½ teaspoon salt 
¼ cup / 50g Dark chocolate chips 
¼ cup / 50g White chocolate chips

Method:
1.    Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
2.    Cream together the butter and sugar.
3.    Add the eggs, vanilla, mashed bananas.
4.    Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5.    Add flour and milk in the following order: 1/3rd flour, ½ the milk, 1/3rd flour, rest half of the milk and finally the remaining 1/3rd flour till well combined.
6.    Stir in the chocolate chips and reserve some for the top.
7.    Bake for 20-25 (when using mini loaf pan or large cupcake mould, else reduce the time and check with wooden skewer) minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.


1 comment: