Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Rainbow Cake

Even before I had taken my baking basics classes last year, I had come across the rainbow cake recipe. Once I learnt the basics, the next step was to source the colours. I was told that the powdered colours are not safe and I couldn't find liquid colours in the near-by Nilgiris outlets. So, I had to wait until my cousin Nayana got me a set of Wilton Gel Colours from Canada December last year. I gingerly opened pink to colour my Strawberry cake frosting but didn't dare to attempt the rainbow cake until last week.



I made the rainbow cake and it was a huge success. It was gone in a day. Meant that it was THAT good. My cousin was visiting Bangalore with his kids. There was some free time on Saturday hence I started making choco chip cookies. The nephew wanted to know when I was going to make a cake. And he wanted to know what I was doing at each step. So I obliged. Made a second batch of rainbow cake and it too was very much appreciated.



Next in list is this cake for me. Have to try it soon. :-)

Rainbow Cake Recipe
Adapted from Monika's Blog 

Ingredients:
For the cake:
3/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch each of violet, blue, green, yellow, orange and red

For Frosting:
1/2 cup Non-dairy whipping cream
pinch of colour - Any

Method:
  • Preheat your oven to 190C and prepare your 6-inch pan by lightly greasing it with butter and keep aside.
  • Beat the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy, this will take about 2-3 minutes
  • Now beat in one egg at a time, adding a little flour if your egg shows signs of curdling
  • Add the milk, vanilla essence and rest of the flour and mix till just blended
  • Divide the batter equally in six bowls
  • Add a small pinch of each gel color into each bowl and mix properly. If using liquid colors, use 1tsp each.
  • Take six tbsp measures or 6 equal measure spoons and starting with violet, keep pouring one spoonful of each color in the center of the baking pan. Let the batter spread by itself, when u pour spoon after spoon it will start forming layers
  • When you have finished pouring the batter, give the bowl couple of gentle taps on the kitchen counter to let go of any large air bubbles and bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or till the tooth pick comes out clean and the top of the cake bounces back when pressed
  • Let it cool completely before frosting.
Frosting:
  • Chill the bowl and the blades in freezer for 15-20 minutes. 
  • Pour the whipping cream, add the icing color and whip it for 3-4 minutes until medium peaks. 
  • Coat the cake with the icing. Chill the cake in refrigerator after the first coat for 15min. 
  • Apply the second coat and decorate the cake with sprinkles on top.

1 comment:

  1. The cake looks delicious ! have u tried making a tasty strwaberry trifle? see the recipe at http://www.urbanrestro.com/blog/tasty-treats/summer-treat-strawberry-trifle/

    ReplyDelete