Sunday, July 14, 2013

Whole Wheat Plum Mini Cakes

I bought some plums the other day. Looked like they weren't ripe yet. The one I bit into was tart. I waited for 4 days to bake with it. I wanted to make something delicious but healthy at the same time. So imagine my pleasure when I came across a whole wheat plum cake recipe. Well, in no time, the plums were pitted, chopped and I was ready to bake my first plum cake.

I have made cakes with plain white sugar so far. I have used demerrera sugar in cookies but not in cakes. So, it was interesting that whole wheat coupled with demerrera came out surprisingly tasty. I hadn't expected the punch of flavour and texture from a wheat cake.. what's more, the plums were so tart that it it hits you when you bite into the rich flavoured cake. Maybe it is a good idea to chop them into smaller pieces next time.

While serving it is a good idea to heat the cake and serve it with vanilla ice cream. Yum combination!

Whole Wheat Plum Mini Cakes Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 100g butter, room temperature,
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 4-5 drops almond extract
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 50g almond meal
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 50ml buttermilk
  • 5-6 plums, halved
  • Low fat cream or ice cream to serve
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 190C. Lightly grease  10-12 individual muffin tins, or ramekins.
  2. Beat butter and brown sugar until light and mousse like.
  3. Add eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat again.
  4. On low-speed add both flours and baking soda and mix.
  5. Fold in the buttermilk.
  6. Divide batter between prepared tins. Top each with half a pitted plum, cut side up.
  7. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 190C for about 35 minutes / until done.
  8. Leave to cool in tins.
  9. Loosen edges with a butter knife and turn out on serving platter. Serve with a drizzle of low at cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment